Monday, February 27, 2017

Ishmael - Chapters 3 and 4

It is funny to me how at the end of my last post I only focused on human-beings. I didn't mention the planet, the development of micro-organisms into more complex ones, and I really gave no explanation for how things came to be! What is relevant though, is that I mentioned making a living, which is finding my own purpose in other words. I didn't mention jellyfish or wombats, I focused on using the world for my own means.

Ishmael elaborates on the ideas above by telling the narrator that the story we enact everyday goes like this: The Takers believe the world is a human support system. We are the pinnacle of Creation. The world was made for man and man was made to conquer and rule it.

The perspective Ishmael gives is our creation myth. Even though humans have scientifically proven this story, he gives the narrator that it is the story enacted by the Takers. The idea that humanity is meant to rule the world is a myth. I agree with this. In my earlier post, I wasn't sure what man's destiny is and so it is in fact a myth, a story enacted over and over again. But I am confused. If the world was made for man, as in we rely on the world, why do we try to conquer it? Why is the price of enacting this story casting mankind as the enemy of the world?

Quinn has expertly grabbed my attention. He has pointed out my own bias of the world and how it works and has left me searching for more in the coming chapters. I think that in many ways I have taken the world for granted. I've used it's resources for material gain and now I am searching for where I fit in the whole scheme of things. I become the narrator and converse with a gorilla known as Ishmael. It's truly fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment